Most of us don’t have the luxury of only being leaders … we need to get work done personally as well as through other people. And whether we are getting things done ourselves or through other people, we need to maximize productivity. Erik Fisher is the host of Beyond the To-Do List, a hugely popular business podcast about managing time, prioritizing tasks, and avoiding burnout. He’s been studying the topic of productivity and interviewing many experts and practitioners.
Erik and Jesse discuss the common themes Erik has seen after conducting so many interviews about personal productivity, including:
- Goals and priorities
- Time and energy
- Distraction and focus
They also address:
- The most common misconception Erik has seen about productivity.
- When Jesse started his career a couple decades ago, the Franklin planner was huge in the area of time management. Shortly afterwords, the Steven Covey “Seven Habits” approach took center stage. Then about a decade ago, David Allen introduced GTD, and it eventually became one of the most popular approaches. Is GTD still the dominant time management system today?
- Erik’s current favorite tools, resources, and apps for personal productivity.
- For many of us, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media seem to make a giant sucking sound as they can consume a seemingly endless amount time without us even realizing it. How can we use our time wisely in the realm of social media?
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Erik’s Website: Beyond the To-Do List
- Amazon book: Beyond the To-Do List (link available approx Aug 15)
- iTunes Podcast: Beyond the To-Do List
- Twitter: @ErikJFisher
- Website: Productivityist
- Book: One-Life Solution by Henry Cloud, Ph.d
- Book: Getting Things Done (GTD) by David Allen
- Video: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity: David Allen at TEDxClaremontColleges
- App: TextExpander
- App: OmniFocus
- App: Toodledo used by Jesse in combination with the 1MTD approach and with Basecamp for team projects
- App: 30/30 (often used with Pomodoro Method)
- App: DropBox
If you like our show, please rate us on iTunes. That makes a huge difference in helping more people discover it. We love to know your thoughts about this episode. Please submit your comments below! You can also email comments to Jesse at [email protected], subscribe to him on Facebook, or follow him on Twitter.