Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Some leaders look at their people, shake their heads, and say, “They can’t get there from here.” Sometimes that’s true. But often the solution is creating a stronger culture, where employees are encouraged and coached to contribute their best thinking.
People are different, and these differences can add value. As a leader, you need to figure out the best ways to leverage the strengths of the human beings on your team.
In part 2 of this conversation with Karin Hurt about her newest book, Courageous Cultures, we talk about dealing with five additional types of people who present a specific challenge:
- Just-Tell-Me-What-to-Do-ers: They consistently just want to be told what to do.
- Just-Do-What-I-Sayers: They are often successful and just want people to line up behind them and do what they’re told.
- Let-Me-Do-My-Thing-ers: They are certain of their direction and methods.
- Silent Wounded: They don’t trust you—and with good reason. They’ve been burned by previous leaders.
- Silent Ponderous: They may be quiet introverts, but they have insights you desperately need.
Karin Hurt is the award-winning author of several books and an Inc. Top 100 leadership speaker. She provides leadership development programs for organizations around the world. A former Verizon Wireless executive, she has over two decades of experience in customer service, sales, and human resources.
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Book: Courageous Cultures
- Idea Inspiration Summit July 23
- Free executive strategy guide to creating a courageous culture
- Idea incubator guide (with pre-ordering)
- Book: Winning Well: A Manager’s Guide to Getting Results–Without Losing Your Soul
- Book: Overcoming An Imperfect Boss: A Practical Guide to Building a Better Relationship With Your Boss
- Online course: Results That Last: 7 Roles Every Manager Must Master
- Website: letsgrowleaders.com
- Twitter: @letsgrowleaders
- Facebook: /letsgrowleaders
- Engaging Leader 135: How to Lead Meetings That Get Results (and That People Want to Attend)
- Engaging Leader 054: Humility and Leadership: How to Teach Confident Humility
Subscribe on your favorite podcast app:
Apple Podcast | Google Play | Spotify | Stitcher | Other Ways to Listen