Richard Boyatzis is a Professor in the Departments of Organizational Behavior, Psychology, and Cognitive Science at Case Western Reserve University. He is the author of more than 150 articles on leadership, competencies, emotional intelligence, competency development, coaching, and management education. He was ranked #9 Most Influential International Thinkers by an 11,000 HR Director Survey in HR Magazine. His books include The Competent Manager; the international best-seller Primal Leadership with Daniel Goleman and Annie McKee (in 28 languages); Resonant Leadership with Annie McKee (in 18 languages); and Becoming a Resonant Leader with Annie McKee and Fran Johnston (in 7 languages). He also teaches “Inspiring Leadership through Emotional Intelligence,” a popular massive open online course (MOOC) through Coursera.org.
In his interview with Jesse, Richard details the first three steps you should take to become a resonant leader:
- Reading and learning
- Relating and interacting with other people
Together, Jesse and Richard discuss:
- What one thing most influences a company’s bottom-line performance?
- The concept of “Emotional Intelligence”
- The concept of “Resonant Leadership,” why it’s important, and how it relates to Emotional Intelligence
- How can resonant leadership be applied to the entire organizational culture?
- How can a leader avoid “CEO disease”?
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Richard’s online course: Inspiring Leadership through Emotional Intelligence
- Follow Richard on Twitter: @RBoyatzis
- Visit the Weatherhead School of Management at Case Western Reserve’s website for more information on Emotional Intelligence and executive education.
If you like our show, please rate us on iTunes. That makes a huge difference in helping more people discover it. We love to know your thoughts about this episode. Please submit your comments below! You can also email comments to Jesse at email@example.com, subscribe to him on Facebook, or follow him on Twitter.
For the transcript of this episode: EL 42: 3 Ways to Become a Resonant Leader | with Richard Boyatzis