Being an engaging leader starts with engaging your own work and life optimally. When you are fully charged, you get more done, your mind is sharp and creative, you feel fully alive – and you are a better leader, parent, spouse, and friend. Does that happen by accident, or are there specific actions that create this daily charge?
Tom Rath is a research scientist with The Gallup Organization who has spent his entire career studying workplace engagement, health, and well-being. He last joined us in Engaging Leader episode 58 to discuss his bestselling book Eat Move Sleep. His newest book is Are You Fully Charged? 3 Keys to Energizing Your Work and Life.
Tom joins us today to discuss the most proven and practical strategies to help you be fully charged – and to help you teach and coach the people you lead to be fully charged too. According to Rath’s latest research, three key conditions differentiate days when you have a full charge:
- Meaning: doing something today that makes a positive difference, especially if it benefits another person
- Interactions: creating far more positive than negative moments
- Energy: making choices that improve your mental and physical health
Jesse and Tom discuss proven and practical tips in all three areas to help you be fully charged – and to help you teach and coach the people you lead to be fully charged too.
- Tom’s book: Are You Fully Charged? 3 Keys to Energizing Your Work and Life
- Book mentioned by Tom: The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
- Documentary movie: Fully Charged – features interviews with leading experts, as well as real-life examples, to reveal sme of the most practical ways we can all energize our work and life
- Book for kids: The Rechargeables – a timeless story about how to be healthy and create energy in our daily lives
- Mobile app: Welbe – tracks how you eat, move, and sleep, connecting with wearable devices (Fitbit, Jawbone, etc.) and with friends across platforms (iOS, Android, etc.)
- Website: tomrath.org
- Twitter: @TomCRath
- Previous interview: 058 – EAT MOVE SLEEP: Why Small Choices Make a Big Difference
If you like our show, please rate us on iTunes. That makes a huge difference in helping more people discover it. We love to know your thoughts about this episode. Please submit your comments below! You can also email comments to Jesse at [email protected], subscribe to him on Facebook, or follow him on Twitter.