Great jobs are MADE, not FOUND. If you aren’t loving your current job, how can you turn it into a job you want? Finding fulfillment in our life’s work requires contributing meaningfully to the world around us. We’re pleased to welcome Tom Rath back to the show. Tom is a bestselling author and research scientist who has spent the past two decades studying how work can improve human health and well-being. Tom shares about his new book Life’s Great Question, which follows up on his earlier work about StrengthsFinder. We discuss:
- How we can redesign the job we have into the job we want
- Why we need a whole new way to think about our life’s work
- How helping others can improve your health and well-being
- How to align your work with your greatest potential contributions while keeping in touch with how you’re wired, what you need, and what gets you excited.
Tom Rath’s bestsellers include How Full Is Your Bucket?, StrengthsFinder 2.0, Strengths Based Leadership, Wellbeing, Eat Move Sleep, and Are You Fully Charged? During his 13 years at Gallup, Tom led the organization’s strengths, employee engagement, wellbeing, and leadership consulting worldwide. Tom has served for the past five years as an external advisor and Gallup Senior Scientist. His two newest books are Life’s Great Question: Discover How You Best Contribute to the World and It’s Not About You: A Brief Guide to a Meaningful Life.
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Website: tomrath.org
- Online assessment: contribify.com
- Book: Life’s Great Question: Discover How You Best Contribute to the World
- Book: It’s Not About You: A Brief Guide to a Meaningful Life
- Twitter: @TomCRath
- Previous interviews on Engaging Leader: engagingleader.com/?s=tom+rath
If you like our show, please rate us on iTunes. That makes a huge difference in helping more people discover it. We’d love to know your thoughts about this episode. Please submit your comments below! You can also provide feedback on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn.