The natural tendency for many leaders when facing a communication issue is to skip critical planning steps and jump right into tactics. Unfortunately, by not being strategic, leaders can miss opportunities to more effectively engage employees or others – or worse, actually produce unintended negative consequences.
In this episode, Jesse shares a five-step process for creating an effective communication strategy:
- Mission/Measurement (outcomes)
- Members (audience/stakeholder)
- Manager/Champion support
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Discussion of Communication Analysis Phase vs. Communication Planning Phase is described excellently in chapter 6 of The Power of Communication: Skills to Build Trust, Inspire Loyalty, and Lead Effectively by Helio Fred Garcia
- Video: How to Use a Stakeholder Analysis to Identify Audience Members
- RACI Matrix: Useful for determining whether each stakeholder is Responsible, Accountable, Consulted, or Informed. See the explanation on Wikipedia
If you like our show, please rate us on iTunes. That makes a huge difference in helping more people discover it. We love to know your thoughts about this episode. Please submit your comments below! You can also email comments to Jesse at email@example.com, subscribe to him on Facebook, or follow him on Twitter.